Sindh

Sindh

Tuesday 16 August 2022

Into the Still Water AKSHR

 


Into the Still Water

 

Whenever I see a sea even after a second I see a sea I see a different sea

I see the sea of my childhood in Santorini and I see a sea in the Aegean

A sea in Amorgos and I see a sea in Mykonos and I see a different sea

I know that some seas are named after islands but I do not know how they were named

Maybe they were named by mariners who came to the islands on boats with sails

On boats with oars or maybe they were named by islanders who had never seen an ocean before

It is hard to say how long ago that was but it is easy enough to imagine how long it would take

For islanders to cross their own sea to reach another island and name it let’s say Naxos

And then for those sailors who had come from lands where there are no islands at all

To cross the sea and never return to their home

There is no way to know how many boats have sunk beneath these waves

And how many sailors have drowned but I can imagine that it must be a lot

And I know that some of them lived long enough to see the islands on the other side

So they named those islands after themselves


AKSHR

No comments:

Post a Comment